Monday 13 February 2012

SAFARI UPDATE!

     Allllllrighty then! Joe and I are safely back in Nashville and are presumably rested. It has been a pretty crazy week on safari since I last had internet access, and hopefully some of you will check this blog to get caught up on things even though we have returned with photos and videos galore. I'm going to go back through the week day-by-day from memory with updates on how each day went, but I'll start with a few pictures from the day before we left (which, as you will recall, I hadn't posted because I was on Susan's computer). 

Chest X-ray of the mother who we tried so hard to save the morning of our last day in Kijabe. I didn't mention her severe scoliosis before. Also, I can't remember if I've already said this, but we were the radiology reading team for our patients in Kijabe.

    After leaving the hospital for the last time, we ran up to RVA in hopes that we would be able to get lunch, but were too late. I did, however, take a few shots of the flags that I mentioned last week:

Angola's national flower

Mozambique's three national pursuits: education,
agriculture, and russian-made assault rifles.

     We found solace from the painful events of the morning and the lack of food at RVA by traveling to Mama Chiku's for the last time and enjoying some samosas and Mandazi

JACKPOT!

    On the walk back, I got some inspiration about how to fix the problem of road traffic accidents in Kenya...

The Kijabe Unicycle (patent pending)

    I came back to do some laundry, but only realized that the washer never worked AFTER the clothes and detergent were in place. So I got to do some laundry completely by hand in a big blue tub.

Seriously.... who does this anymore?

Hanging it out to dry in the last rays of the sun.

    The laundry didn't dry before the sun set, but I left it out overnight because I thought the wind would finish the job. I checked on the clothes at 11pm just before bed and found them to be almost dry, so I planned to pull them down before leaving Kijabe in the AM. Unfortunately, the wind stopped shortly after I went to sleep, and the clothes were covered in dew when I packed them the next morning...




No comments:

Post a Comment