Monday 23 January 2012

Critics and Other Legless Animals

    So I woke up at 2am last night to two different noises. One was the wind howling and shaking our humble residence (which is becoming a somewhat familiar noise). The other was a different sound, a new sound that I had not heard before (well, not here any way). Specifically, it was the sound of hissing (waxing and waning) coming from the somewhere beyond the foot of my bed. The tales of Black Mamba in Kijabe and the Rift Valley danced in my head as I carefully pulled my legs to safety and turned on the light and saw...

...nothing.

    Yet the hissing continued. I climbed out of bed to locate the noise only to discover that it was coming from the cap of a fruit juice bottle that probably should have been refrigerated days ago. Close one...

The Culprit... slightly less toxic than a Mamba.

    We went to the OR this AM to discover that we were to begin evaluations of the student anesthetists at Kijabe. I will spare all the details, but they went pretty well (so far, since we have a few more days ahead of us yet). Here's some pictures of evaluations in progress:

Another life saved.

"Tell me about the FiO2 during the Jurassic period..."

    At the end of the OR day, I got sign-out on the ICU and we headed home. Rob, Joe and I decided to take a walk to find some monkeys (which we still haven't been able to see). On the way out the door, we ran into the neighborhood kids. I got a token picture of Rob with them this time:

Eat your heart out, Dr. Tarpley.

    We continued on to a nearby jungle, and wound out way down, we kept getting fleeting glimpses of movement in the trees, but it took us a while to get anything near a clear shot of the monkeys (though we eventually did:

Monkey Utopia

Paydirt. Zoom in for two monkeys haggling over fruit center stage.

A successful trip into the jungle.

    We came home to go over to desert night at one of the local attending's houses. He has an impressive view from his porch (which seems to be the rule here). It was, in general, a pleasant time, though we did get scolded about taking pictures in the OR by one of the non-operative physicians. It's tough to get informed consent from someone who speaks an isolated tribal language.

Not that that will stop us...






No comments:

Post a Comment