Monday 30 January 2012

Even Lazier Sunday

    So as I was brushing my teeth Saturday night after Longonot (and after the last update), I looked into the mirror and saw something quite unusual about both my eyes. As it turns out, squinting into the dust and sun on Longonot all day without glasses creates a pretty awesome pattern on your corneas.

If you do THIS all day...

...THIS happens.

    Not to worry, it was gone within 24hrs and I'm back to normal (well, CLOSER to normal I guess). We woke up late on Sunday, but still had time to get to the service at RVA. Unfortunately, we weren't able to shower prior to the service as our water was out. This happens periodically here (as well as electricity outages), but this particular water dearth lasted until mid-day Monday, so it was a little more distressing (since no one can shower, wash dishes, and (most importantly) flush the toilet). Such is life. The service at RVA is impressive. Lots of people, and many of them very into the program (lots of singing and raised arms with some dancing). I took my camera, but forgot the battery, so I don't have any pictures. The general structure of the services here include some time (20-30 minutes) of singing, followed by a sermon of some kind. There was no guest speaker that morning, so They pulled down a big screen and we watched a video of a sermon given in Atlanta, GA for 45+ minutes. Afterwards, we went to the RVA cafeteria for lunch. It is a large impressive meal, and very delicious. I wanted to get some shots of all the African national flags in the caf, but it will have to wait. Highlights include Angola's flag with it's machete, and Mozambique's with it's AK-47. True patriots, the lot of 'em.
    We finished eating and came back to rest at the house. Jonathon and Rob returned from their safari in the Masai Mara in the afternoon, and we looked at some fantastic pictures before they flew out of the house to get a bit of exercise before dinner.

Yeah right.

    For dinner, we went back to Susan's for pizza (which we all pitched in to make). I started taking some shots of the scenery (as I do).

I don't know why she doesn't have 1000s of these photos.

Seriously, it's beautiful

Let's focus on some color.

     As I was shooting, I heard some kids behind me yelling "One picture! One picture!" Kid's around here are pretty aggressive, but I agreed.

Now run along...

    Sadly, this only opened the door for them. They requested individual photos, which I agreed to. They then requested I take the photos out of the camera for them to have, which I did NOT agree to. They then started asking who else was inside, could they come in to meet everyone, could they have some food, would I sponsor them for school, etc. Long story short, it ended up in a tense staredown with me giving them threatening stares and they plotting how they would steal the chips sitting on the patio table. They eventually left, and I was able to return to photographing the sunset, which I did with great personal joy.

It's the CIRCLE OF LIFE!....

...AND IT MOVES US ALL!!!!

    With the pizza done, we started to eat. It was delicious, and there was plenty for everyone, but you know how things can get when people get hungry...

Jonathon about to charge in defense of a single carmelized onion.

Rob inspecting an injury sustained in the Great Pizza-Distributing Debacle.
29/1/2012 - Never Forget.

People towing the line after Susan dealt her lethal blow to Rob's finger.

    We finished dinner and came in to watch a movie, but our projector was broken, so we huddled around a laptop and watched funny YouTube videos of Germans. Also, I made a friend...

Susan's cat, Zoey, showing "Blue Steel"

    We came back, sent some threatening text messages to our landlord for not having the water working, and went to bed.





1 comment:

  1. Ouch about your eyes and boo about the water. A house with a bunch of guys and no running water... so sad to miss that.

    ReplyDelete